There’s a difference between motivational speakers bio and introduction.
A professional speakers bio (biography) is like a curriculum vitae. This is not the document to give to a master of ceremonies who is supposed to introduce you to an audience. It’s too long and cumbersome.
What you want to give the master of ceremonies (MC) is a one-page introduction at the most.
Speakers Introduction Tips
- Get it to the MC in advance
- Make sure it is in 16 to 18 point as often the lighting in the conference room is not up to scratch. Easier to read.
- Instruct the MC not to deviate from the introduction you’ve given
- Most important, bring a copy of the introduction with you just in case the MC has lost it
#4 is my lesson … I stuffed this one up.
A month or so ago I did a speaker showcase at the Theatre on The Square (Nelson Mandela Square).
I sent my introduction weeks before. I followed up to make sure that the introduction had been sent to the MC. I was promised it had been given to the MC.
I’m standing in the wings with the MC waiting for a fellow speaker to finish up. I glance at my introduction in his hands and to my horror see that it’s my motivational speakers bio off my website … not the introduction I’d lovingly crafted.
In this case the introduction was crafted as a set up to my keynote. Without the title of my speech and the set up, the context of my speech was lost.
It threw me off my stride and I know I didn’t do my best work (for the first minute or so) until I got back on track.
I don’t know about you, but my introduction is part of my ritual. If it is done badly, it throws me.
- My mistake was that I didn’t check in with the MC that he had my introduction on the night
- My mistake was that I presumed that the MC had the right introduction
- My BIG mistake was that I didn’t bring a spare copy of my introduction with. If I had, this would have saved the day
Learn from me and makes sure that the MC doesn’t mistake your motivational speakers bio for your introduction.
Check out Jacques’s motivational speakers biography.